Drumming Amazon

Drumming Amazon
Drumming DykeAmazon

Big Dyke from SF Dyke March

Big Dyke from SF Dyke March
MasterAmazon

Sunday, May 29, 2016

On the Michfest Intention GUEST POST BY CHERYL HEARTSEES

Cheryl's post:    " I don't think the "intention" approach  works.  This was tried for 40 years and it failed.  The intention was not honored.  So, women who came to the Festival because it was female-born space did not really have the Fest they hoped for, paid for and anticipated.  And of course, women who opposed the intention didn't have the Fest they wanted  either.   I am not a "what you resist, persists" kind of person.  I am a "resistance is the secret of joy", as the sign on the land so beautifully said, kind of person.  It won't work for me to focus on what wimmin are doing, what we want to do, and leave concerns about who may or may not attempt to attend future gatherings aside.  To me, knowing what we know, that would be foolhardy.   I think this is a fork in the road for me, i..e, I don't think I can proceed or really make plans using this intention approach-- wondering whether there might be an interest in having conversations here or elsewhere that abandon the idea of the "intention" in favor of, for one example, a membership approach to future gatherings.  Don't misunderstand, I adored the Festival and found it absolutely wonderful, why I traveled 5,000 miles round trip, five times, to attend it, usually with children and others in tow. I will miss it so much!  The dishonoring of the intention, though, and everything that went along with it, deeply troubled me and in various ways over the years, caused so much grief for me and so many other women.  So I would like to move forward differently and am seeking the thoughts of others.  I do think one of the irresolvable underlying issues so far as Fest goes is in some part a spiritual one, a deep divide between those who choose to detach and remove their energy from a struggle and those who choose to resist and give their energy to that struggle.  I don't really think this divide is one that can be resolved via compromise.  Love and peace to all."
                       -  Cheryl Heartsees

No comments:

Post a Comment